ABIR members host more than 100 paid interns
Record number of work experience opportunities for Bermudian students
Hamilton, Bermuda (July 23, 2023) — The Association of Bermuda Insurers and Reinsurers (ABIR) member companies are hosting 103 paid interns this summer, creating a record number of work experience opportunities for Bermudian students.
ABIR is also providing the interns with a series of networking, professional development and industry learning opportunities through the ABIR Intern Working Group (IWG) to add value to their work experience with Bermuda’s leading international re/insurers.
Pina Albo, Chair of ABIR and Chief Executive Officer of Hamilton Insurance Group, Ltd., said: “Internships help to build relationships between Bermuda’s re/insurance industry and young Bermudian leaders of the future. ABIR’s member companies are committed to providing opportunities for Bermudian students to experience the re/insurance industry, build their professional networks and enhance their career prospects.”
John Huff, President and CEO of ABIR, said: “It’s great to see Bermudian students taking the record number of internship opportunities with ABIR member companies this summer. Building a strong pipeline of Bermudian talent is key to the sustainability of the island’s world-leading re/insurance industry.”
The IWG programme included:
• Lorene Phillips, executive leadership coach and founder of Clarendon Wallace, led the interns in a ‘Polished Professional’ workshop. She advised the students on the important power skills, professional etiquette and dedication needed as a next level leader.
• ABIR collaborated with Focus Point Photography to gift each student with a professional headshot for their LinkedIn, CV or work biography.
• ABIR held a Climate Roundtable to discuss climate and the catastrophe reinsurance industry in Bermuda, hosted by Chubb. The panel of re/insurance industry professionals, educators and scientists, comprised: Angela A’Zary, Senior Vice President of Client Risk Analytics, RenaissanceRe; Adam Barboza, Vice President of Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability, Aspen; Stephen Moss, Head of Investor Analytics, Aeolus; Akinyi Apopa, Department of Education; Mark Guishard, Trustee, Bermuda Institute of Ocean Studies (BIOS); Karla Lacey, CEO, Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute (BUEI); and Bill Curry, President and Director, BIOS.
• Dr. Crystal Clay, diversity, equity and inclusion strategist, leadership coach and founder of Olive Branch Consulting, led a session on interviewing and networking skills that young professionals need.
• American International Group (AIG) sponsored an ABIR Lunch and Learn to provide the interns with insights into the Bermuda re/insurance market, its history and its global relevance led by Catherine R. Duffy, Country Leader of AIG Bermuda.
• To end the summer, ABIR will host a social and networking event for the interns to connect with their peers and Bermuda industry professionals.
Intern positions were offered to Bermudian students this Summer by: ABIR, Aeolus, AIG, Aon, Arch Capital Group, Ariel Re, Ascot Group, Aspen, Chubb, Conduit Re, Convex, Everest Re, Fortitude Re, Guy Carpenter, Hamilton Insurance Group, Hannover Re, Hiscox Re & ILS, Lockton Re, Marsh, Mosaic Insurance. PartnerRe, RenaissanceRe, Validus Reinsurance, and Willis Towers Watson.
# # #
About ABIR: The Association of Bermuda Insurers & Reinsurers (ABIR), which represents Bermuda’s major property and casualty insurers and reinsurers doing business in 150 countries, was founded in 1993 and is the largest collective voice of international re/insurance employers on island. For three decades, the Bermuda market’s risk-bearing capacity has played a key role in enabling insurance to be accessible and affordable for the benefit of consumers around the world. Bermuda is an internationally recognized center of global expertise on underwriting for catastrophe, climate, cyber, political risk, mortgage, and credit risk transfer products, along with other specialty insurance and reinsurance. For more information, please visit: www.abir.bm. Follow us on Twitter @ABIR_Bermuda.